Phone: +33 (0) 6 85 32 33 68
Address: Grenoble – France
Age: 27 years
A research engineer or research scientist position. Using and improving my knowledge in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition.
March 2004 – December 2007
INRIA (Grenoble, France) and Bertin Technologies (Aix-en-Provence, France)
PhD at INRIA and research engineer in a private company (CIFRE contract)
Topic: Object and Object Categories Recognition - Advisor: Frederic Jurie.
· study computer vision and learning theory, mainly applied to object recognition
· study local representations for image description and classification
· image classification (generic categories like cats, cars, roads …)
· image pair classification (predict if two never seen objects are the same or not)
· study bibliography, implement, adapt, analyze and improve the algorithms
· perform scientific experiments: performance metric definition, cycles of hypothesis-coding-experiments-interpretation to improve the models
· produce scientific papers and deliverables (demos, C++ source codes, technical reports)
· advise master students (from 2 to 6 months), for scientific or engineering works
April 2003 – September 2003
INRIA, Paris, France
Master thesis. 3D object reconstruction from calibrated cameras. Propose, implement and evaluate a solution involving Visual Hulls and Stereo-Vision.
April 2002 – December 2002
RATP, Paris, France
Propose and setup an intranet administration application for synchronizing different teams. Maintain the system. Train the users.
July 2002 – August 2002
Alcatel Ocean Indien, Reunion Island, France
Interview employees and managers to detect and formalize communication problems.
September 2002 – June 2003
Paris VI “Pierre et Marie Curie” University, France
Master of Science: Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (French DEA)
September 2000 – June 2003
EFREI (engineering school), Paris, France
Master of Science: Computer Science (algorithms, AI, languages, project management)
· Pascal 2006, International Visual Object Category recognition challenge – Top 5.
· Doctoriales 2006, Innovation challenge, Grenoble, France – Best Innovation Prize.
· Master of Science, Paris VI University, Paris, France – Highest honor (French très bien).
· Master of Science, EFREI CS engineering school, Paris, France – Highest honor (French très bien).
· Baccalauréat, Reunion Island, France – Highest honor (French très bien).
· Eric Nowak, PhD Thesis (current work), 2007.
· Eric Nowak, Frédéric Jurie, Learning Visual Similarity Measures for Comparing Never Seen Objects, CVPR 2007, Minneapolis, USA.
· Eric Nowak, Frédéric Jurie, Learning Visual Distance Function for Object Identification from one Example, LCE Workshop of NIPS 2006, Vancouver, Canada.
· Eric Nowak, Frédéric Jurie, Bill Triggs, Sampling Strategies for Bag-of-Features Image Classification, ECCV 2006, Graz, Austria.
· Eric Nowak, Frédéric Jurie, Reconnaissance d'Objets dans des Images: une approche par Sac-de-Mots, GDR-ISIS 2006, Paris, France.
· Eric Nowak, Frédéric Jurie, Vehicle Categorization: Parts for Speed and Accuracy, VS-PETS workshop of ICCV 2005, Beijing, China.
· Eric Nowak, Amélioration d'une reconstruction 3D par voxels (Visual Hull) à l'aide de la stéréo-vision, Master Thesis 2003 (DEA).
· Good knowledge of the basics: C, data structures, algorithms
· Object Oriented languages: advanced C++ (made my own recognition library), basic Java
· Scientific languages: Matlab, Prolog
· Scripts: advanced Bash scripting
· Environment: Linux (basic administrator, advanced user), Windows
· Basic knowledge: PhP, MySQL, Qt GUI, OpenGL, Assembly 68hc11, Flex, HTML, …
· Personality: I am rigorous, efficient, determined, creative, enthusiastic, open-minded. I enjoy working in multi-cultural and interdisciplinary environments
· Languages: native French and Creole, fluent English, basic German
· Interests: photography, cinema, art, travels, cooking, playing tennis, swimming, walking
· Head of a French teaching group: led the group, organized the lessons, taught French, during one year in CS school. 5 students teaching French to 4 Chinese students.
· Misc: Driving Licence, First Aid.